Thursday 7 January 2016

14 Hours On A Sleeper Train

After 2 nights in Bangkok, it was time to head up North to Chiang Mai. We took the overnight sleeper train and it was one of the best things I've done so far on this trip.

Everyone knows that this is the main way to get from Bangkok up to Chiang Mai but I can't say I was looking forward to sitting in a cramped carriage with a dingy pull down bed for 14 hours. But it was honestly so much more than I'd expected.

We were in 2nd class (cost around the £18 mark, about 900 Baht but well worth it) and were in our own little cabin minus the door with a bunk bed on either side and a table in the middle. There was loads of storage space for our backpacks and the cabin even had plug sockets, a pillow, a bed sheet and a thin duvet which was surprisingly comfy. You also had a curtain you could pull around your bed when you wanted to sleep which came in handy. We stocked up on snacks at Bangkok train station before boarding but it turned out there was no need, you can order your evening meal/breakfast as soon as you get on the train and it has a restaurant carriage too. The meals worked out at about 200-250 Baht per person. 


I took the bottom bunk and don't regret it one bit. I fell asleep at around 11pm-ish and woke up at 7am to the most amazing view. We were travelling through the jungle just outside of Chaing Mai and for the next hour passed through tiny villages made up of clusters of wooden huts, rice fields, mountains, greenery and fields full of cattle. It was all pretty surreal to be honest. 


I can't say I was excited at first about the long haul travel up to Chiang Mai, but I can hands down say that it's one of the best things I've ever done. I felt 100% safe, the train/toilets were clean, it was so much more comfortable than expected and the staff were lovely. 

I wouldn't even consider flying from the middle of the county now if the sleeper train is an option, it's such a good experience and well worth the 14 hours. 


SHARE:

No comments

© She Who Does. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig